Saturday, August 11, 2012

Last week at CCAI

Unfortunately my time has ended here in DC. I dropped off my coworker today at the Airport, and she is headed back to her 3L year at Texas Tech. She was such a blessing to work with, because she too has a strong passion for child welfare, which is not the typical path for most law students. Quite frankly, we want to help those who may never be able to pay us. I spent all of Friday dropping off certificates in each of the Senate houses. It was so exciting to be in the Senate buildings and meet some of the staffers. They really are fun people and passionate about their causes, but they are also very kind. I enjoyed visiting the offices of Senator Marco Rubio and Senator Bill Nelson, my Senators from Florida! Their staff were very friendly, and I am proud to say they are participating in CCAI's program Angels in Adoption. This program is an opportunity for Members of Congress to recognize individuals and agencies in their districts or states who are doing amazing work in foster care or adoption. Some of the "Angels" have fostered dozens of children, some hundreds!!, some have adopted 2 to 15 children, some are doing excellent advocacy. The Angels come to DC and are recognized in a Gala and a pinning ceremony, in which they can take pictures with their Senator or Representative. It is a special time to recognize those doing a great work and bring awareness of adoption and foster care issues. I'm proud to be apart of it and am challenged to foster and adopt myself if they Lord provides me with the opportunity (not like we are short of opportunity in this country).

No comments:

Post a Comment