Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Update

The Lord has been teaching me so many things in the past few months. I have been reminded a lot lately as to why I am in law school and what the Lord is training me for. I am currently learning about rule of law development and have listened to many prominent people, who have written constitutions for other countries and have helped develop democracies in post-war countries. It has been very interesting to see bright-eyed people with big hopes for governmental reform actually go to other countries and seek the Lord's heart for reform, some with success and some not so much. Simultaneously, I have been writing a paper on the rule of law in Guatemala regarding the adoption system and its current reputation for "baby stealing." This has become a very interesting topic that unfortunately has spawned as a result of unethical attorneys and government notaries.  The people supposedly upholding the rule of law are actually destroying it. While the government is trying to remedy these accusations, much time and effort is still to come. I have been gaining a greater understanding of and passion for the protection of children, particularly in developing countries where the rule of law is not so transparent or stable. The Lord has been allowing me to meet missionaries and attorneys (some are missionary lawyers as I'd like to call them), who are working with street prostitutes, adoption, and trafficking victims. The more I learn about human rights issues and neglect for child welfare around the world, the more I desire to work in the rule of law and help developing countries research and develop good laws to protect their children in a way that comports with their culture. One piece of advice I have taken away from my International Development and the Rule of Law class is that it is very possible that God could use me as a law student, who is passionate about child welfare, to effect rule of law change if I take the initiative.

I visited my parents in Costa Rica, and they are doing wonderful! Their Spanish is coming along so well. The Lord allowed us to meet some awesome believers who have family members working in the Inter-American Court of Human Rights, as well as friends working with street prostitutes and street kids in San Jose, CR.

No comments:

Post a Comment